.

12:19 PM
0

What is it about the Roman empire that makes it so enduringly fascinating, when other historical empires eclipse it in so many ways? There have been bigger empires (British), older empires (Persian), and more ferocious empires (Mongol). Yet few people ever talk about what the Mongols did for us.

I partly answered my own question by using the word "Empire" which is of course derived from Latin. Despite having collapsed over 1500 years ago, Rome's cultural influence remains part of our lives in everything from language to religion. But I think a more comprehensive answer lies in another Latin-derived word - "Romance". When I think of the British Empire, I think of belching smokestacks, tea, and a fat old woman dressed in black. When I think of the Roman Empire, I think of mad emperors, gladiators, assassinations, and red.

I'm aware that's not an accurate portrayal of either period, but the colour of Rome remains startlingly vibrant in a way that no other historical empire does, and it's this colour that Imperator sadly lacks. Paradox's latest strategic colossus is possibly its grandest yet. Yet despite being literally about painting the map in SPQR scarlet, its representation of the period feels oddly cold and sterile, more interested in percentages than populi.

Read more

0 comments:

Post a Comment