.

2:33 AM
0

When Civilization 5 unstacked units, forcing each onto its own hexagonal tile, and doing away with the dreaded 'stack of doom' in the process, it was a huge relief. In that one neat edit Civ 5 became a clearer and more nuanced game of strategy. In Civ 6, Firaxis goes further still, unstacking the cities themselves through the introduction of districts and handing each world wonder its own tile. Where the earlier separation of units had me breathing a sigh of relief, though, the new urban sprawl of city demarcation has me hyperventilating.

There are so many more unknowns now. The themed districts that sit on tiles surrounding your city house buildings of a corresponding type: banks in the commercial district, a library on campus, barracks in the encampment and so on. Each district requires a tile of its own, comes with differing build requirements and reaps bonuses based on placement near certain terrain types, tile improvements or other districts.

You are faced with tough choices everywhere. If a holy site can only be situated on a tile already offering a resource such as stone or bananas, should I sacrifice the resource or wait to build the holy site in another city? Should I be thinking harder about my initial city placement so as to avoid this dilemma in the first place? And how on earth am I going to house the seminal works of my great writer if I don't immediately build a theatre square to support an amphitheatre?

Read more…

0 comments:

Post a Comment